If you are looking for a remote job with flexible hours that you will enjoy, then look no further! You should become an online English teacher with Qkids!
When I tell people about teaching English online, the most commonly asked questions I hear are:
“Do I need to have a degree in education?”
“Is it a real job?”
No, you do not need to have a degree in education in order to teach English online!
Yes, it’s a legit job. I am a prior teacher for them and can tell you the job is real and very rewarding.
Save this image to Pinterest so you can come back later!
What is Qkids?
Qkids is an interactive online teaching platform. English teachers from the US and Canada teach young students ages 5-12 years old from across the world through this platform. This position will be for an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher. It is an online, work from home opportunity. Join Koby and Momo as they help you teach students English through fun, interactive games.
- You must be eligible to legally work in the US or Canada.
- You must have a bachelor’s degree or be a student enrolled in college. Your degree or major does not have to be in education.
- You must be able to commit to 6 hours a week at minimum. (12 lessons).
- They prefer teaching experience but also will accept those with experience in tutoring, mentoring, homeschooling, working at a daycare or church, coaching, etc. Make sure you include this experience in your application.
- Due to the new regulations in China, they now require all teachers without a degree in education to have a certificate such as TESOL, TEFL, CELTA, or ESL. You can obtain one on Groupon for only $29 here. It only takes a hour or two to go through the course work and then you will fulfill that requirement.
- There is a technical requirement for your equipment of a minimum upload speed of 3Mbps and a minimum download speed of 15Mbps.
- You will need a computer with a webcam, a headset with microphone, and a stable internet connection (cable connection is preferred). I personally recommend purchasing a headset with a noise cancelling microphone.
To begin the hiring process you will have to pass an initial screening. The initial screening includes your resume, availability, a screenshot of your computer SPECS, as well as a 1-2 minute introduction video.
In the video, you will introduce yourself and tell the recruiting team where you live, your educational background, and your experience teaching or working with kids.
Then you will read a short children’s story. Make sure to be animated and have fun! Pretend you are reading to real children!
After submitting this video demo, you should hear back from the hiring team within 3 business days.
Qkids hires teachers as independent contractors. This means you would be required to do your own taxes.
It can take weeks to start teaching with other online ESL companies because the parents book you based on your profile. At Qkids, the company schedules your lessons so you can start working right away.
The pay rate is $16-20 USD/hr which will be for two 30 minute lessons. The base pay is $8 USD per lesson. You can also earn attendance bonus ($1) and performance bonus ($1), calculated weekly. With full bonuses, the pay is $10 per lesson or $20/hr.
You will not need to do any lesson planning as the curriculum is already made, but you will need to prepare for lessons by reviewing the materials. You may utilize props to help assist in teaching.
The great thing about Qkids’s classes is that the company teaches English through the use of games. So it’s very easy to teach these classes and a lot of fun for the students.
You can pick and choose different stickers to add to your welcome screen before the class begins. You can also include a welcome message by using a text box.
Time and Scheduling:
The available time slots are as follows:
- 7 days a week – Morning Eastern Time (AM – EST): 6:40-7:10, 7:20-7:50, 8:00-8:30, 8:40-9:10
- Plus Friday and Saturday – Night Eastern Time (PM – EST): 8:40-9:10, 9:20-9:50, 10:00-10:30, 10:40-11:10, 11:20-11:50
They do provide additional evening time slots during Chinese New Year and the summer to include:
- Sunday – Thursday (PM-EST): 8:40-9:10, 9:20-9:50, 10:00-10:30, 10:40-11:10, 11:20-11:50
They also offer an understanding class cancellation policy: If you need to cancel a class, you can notify the Qkids Class Coordination Team. If you notify them at least 24 hours in advance, there will be no penalty.
How to Get Paid:
Teachers will get paid via bank transfer to their accounts. There is no charge for the transfer fee. You will get paid once a month by the 15th, for the entire previous month. For example: A payment on July 15 will cover classes from June 1-30. All payments will come in form of US dollars.
I like to change my classroom to match each season. The company highly recommends using a map or educational background while teaching. You may also use their characters and logos for your background.
- You can check out my post about setting up an online classroom here.
Thoughts from an Official Qkids Teacher:
This job is not only fun and rewarding, but the platform helps create a learning atmosphere that is highly engaging and interactive. With characters such as Koby Koala and Momo the Monkey, you can help teach young language learners through stories and animations. There is no need for creating multiple reward systems as the platform contains its own rewards. The games keep the kids engaged in the lesson, making it easy to connect with them and keep their attention.
The staff is supportive and there for you whenever you need them. They make it easy for you to take time off work, as well, with a laid back cancellation policy that doesn’t reprimand you for taking off time for being sick, etc.
You don’t have to create any lesson plans, reward systems, or leave lengthy feedback for your classes. It can’t be any easier to have a job that not only you enjoy but that helps transforms the lives of so many students.
Watching these students learn a language that is completely foreign to them is an incredible thing to be a part of.
The best part is that you can do this job while your kids are in their beds asleep! This makes it a great opportunity for stay-at-home parents to be able to still contribute to the household income without having to jeopardize time with their children.
The early morning and evening hours will not interfere with the rest of the day with your kids because once your classes are done, you are finished for the day! The hours are even convenient for those that do work outside of the home that want supplemental income.
Ready, Set, Let’s Go!
Are you interested yet?
If you have any questions throughout the hiring process or after you become an official teacher, you may feel free to email me here or leave a comment below.
Good luck and happy teaching!