This post was last updated on February 18th, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Are you ready to embark on a no-spend weekend?
What is a no-spend weekend? It’s a weekend full of activities that don’t cost any money. As the name implies, you freeze your spending.
Save this image to Pinterest so you can come back later!
We all tend to spend the most money on the weekend, as most of us are out of work and finding ways to entertain ourselves and our families. But if you are on a budget, these weekends can really break the bank.
So why don’t you challenge yourself this weekend! Don’t pull out your wallet. Plan ahead.
Skip dinner and drinks with your friends, forego a trip to the museum for a free activity with the family.
Yes, you can still have a fun weekend – even when it’s for FREE. You’ll be surprised how many activities cost little to nothing, if you just search for them. (Facebook events is a great place to find free or cheap things to do with your kids and family!)
Your bank account will thank you later. And you’ll be surprised at just how much you saved.
If you aren’t sure what to do, check out our list of 100 things to do on a no-spend weekend to get you started with some great frugal ideas.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through my links. This is at no extra cost to you. View our full disclosure here.
Let the no-spend weekend begin!
- Go for a walk.
- Take a swim in the pool.
- Take a trip to the beach/mountains.
- Binge on your favorite TV shows.
- Bake cookies from scratch.
- Take the kids to the park.
- Visit a friend.
- Deep clean the house.
- Go on a hike.
- Go camping.
- Have a yard sale. (Make money!)
- Go to the library.
- Build a fort.
- Clean your car.
- Tour a free museum.
- Make a craft.
- Start a gratitude journal.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Make your meal plan for the week ahead.
- Freeze meals for the week ahead. Check out our list of freezer meals here to get you started.
- Have a family game night. Get out those board games! Our favorites are Charades and Apples to Apples.
- Make a YouTube video or start your own YouTube channel.
- Read a book.
- Try geocaching.
- Do a science experiment using items from your pantry.
- Make some extra cash by taking some surveys at Survey Junkie.
- Take a long, relaxing bath.
- Do some yoga.
- Have a picnic at the park.
- Take the kids to a local splash park. There are many free splash parks near our house. Do a google search to see if you live near one!
- Have a movie night.
- Listen to some podcasts.
- Donate old clothes and toys to Goodwill.
- Or earn extra cash by creating listings on ThredUp or Ebay to sell used items.
- Check Facebook events for your town to see a list of free events that are happening this weekend in your city. (This is one of the most frequent ways we find fun things to do with our kids without spending money! There are free things going on every weekend.)
- Find a new side hustle. (Make money!)
- Find coupons for the grocery stores you typically shop at.
- Take a nap.
- Go fishing.
- Attend a free concert.
- Practice your photography skills.
- Make a time capsule.
- Try a free trial at a local gym.
- Rearrange the furniture in your house.
- Play video games.
- Sunbathe in your backyard.
- Go star-gazing.
- Start or tend to a garden.
- Write in a journal.
- Make a monthly budget.
- Do some yard work.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset.
- Learn a foreign language. Try the free app DuoLingo to get started.
- Take your dog to a dog park.
- Go for a jog.
- Visit a pet store.
- Plan a scavenger hunt for the kids.
- Seduce your spouse.
- Have a date night with your spouse at home, by cooking dinner together, having a glass of wine, and watching a movie.
- Plan your next trip.
- Paint or draw a picture.
- Attend a free class at your local craft store.
- Play with bubbles with your kids.
- Play charades with family or friends.
- Play kickball with friends from your neighborhood.
- Do a puzzle or crossword puzzle.
- Let your kids cool down by letting them run through the water sprinklers.
- Set up a slip-n-slide in the backyard.
- Go to church, or attend a church group/event.
- Help a neighbor.
- Catch up on reading your favorite blogs.
- Play Frisbee at the park.
- Play soccer with friends at the park.
- Play a round of Mad Libs.
- Write a blog post.
- Get rid of old clothes and toys from your kids’ rooms.
- Make something out of play-dough with your kids.
- Make homemade slime.
- Play catch with your kids.
- Go work out at the local gym.
- Make a to-do list.
- Clean out your garage.
- Clean out your refrigerator.
- Take the kids to a Home Depot workshop. The first weekend of every month, Home Depot hosts a free kids workshop where they can create something using tools, paint, etc. My kids love this!
- Browse Pinterest for creative things to make or do.
- Make a new recipe from the items in your kitchen.
- Go window shopping.
- Make a Christmas shopping list.
- Call a friend or family member that lives far away.
- Send a card or letter to the military, military kids, or veterans.
- Play a video game.
- Watch a YouTube tutorial to learn a new skill.
- Watch a YouTube review/unboxing to check out a new product.
- Browse books at Barnes and Noble or Books-a-Million. We like to pick up a few and read/skim them in the cafe.
- Bake a cake from scratch.
- Take the kids to the mall playground.
- Attend a free high school sports event.
- Give yourself a mani/pedi.
- Work on a home improvement project.
- Write a love letter.
I hope our list helps you make this a weekend worth remembering.
PRO TIP: Stay up to date with your current credit score by signing up for a FREE credit score report, monitoring and more at Credit Karma. Sign up in 90 seconds. No Credit Card needed.
Looking for ways to earn extra cash every month?
Try taking online surveys with Survey Junkie. With surveys paying up to $50/each, it’s one of the best, legit survey sites to earn extra money.
Earn free gift cards by watching videos and playing games, as well as taking surveys with Swagbucks. Get $5 to start by signing up for Swagbucks.
Earn cash back through every online purchase with Rakuten. A rebate site that lets you shop at your favorite stores and earn cash back on every eligible purchase. They also help you find any promo codes and coupons available and apply them to your purchase. Get $10 to start at Rakuten by signing up with our link here.
Start a blog to make money online. If you have a passion, you can create your own blog. Blogging is one of my favorite ways to earn money online. Read more about starting a blog here.
Teach English online with Qkids or VIPKid. Work in the early mornings, or weekend evenings. The perfect way to make money from home around your schedule. Work while your kids sleep, before your 9-5 job, or while you travel. You must have a bachelor’s degree (in any field) and experience with children for 1 year to pass the initial application process. This can be in homeschooling, tutoring, mentoring, childcare, assisting in church or VBS, etc. Qkids has an easier and quicker hiring process, but both companies are great to work for and legit! (I work for both).